This is my ode about the time I spent with my grandfather on Cape Cod. I hope to honor the summers we shared and the teams we rooted for by reuniting a game used bat for every Red Sox position player from 1975 to 1986. This is for you Gus!

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Pat Dodson

The one thing I have learned during my thirty plus years of collecting, is that there are as many reasons to collect as there are collectors. There are also stages of collecting and those who are in it for the long haul tend to become helpers and educators to new collectors. I was fortunate enough to meet one such person.

When I first started assembling my collection I advertised on several popular collecting forums. One of the first responses I received was an encouraging email from a gentleman named Jeff, and shortly after, I found a package on my doorstep from the same collector. Inside was a game used Pat Dodson bat to help get my collection started. In the months that followed we emailed back and forth and I discovered that Jeff was not just any game used bat collector, but the owner of what must be the finest collection of Red Sox gamers in existence.

Now in his forth decade of collecting, Jeff is just four bats short of meeting his goal of finding a game used bat for every Red Sox position player who suited up since the 1960 season. The bats that have eluded him are: Carmen Fanzone, Ken Poulsen, George Smith and Bobby Thompson. If you have one of these bats or know where one is hiding, please contact me so I can help a fellow bat collector and friend finish his set.


25 bats down 58 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment