This is my ode about the time I spent with my Grandfather on Cape Cod. I hope to honor the summers we shared and the teams we rooted for by reuniting a game used bat for every Red Sox position player from 1975 to 1986. This is for you Gus!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Larry Wolfe

This past weekend my friend Craig and I made our annual pilgrimage to Wilmington, Ma for New England's largest card show. Since his family moved next door to my grandparent's home nearly forty years ago, I have been able to count Craig among my very best friends. As kids in the pre-internet, pre-cell phone days we spent countless hours outside playing baseball, riding bikes and building forts. Before suffering the malady of teen insecurity we would hop on our bikes and race down to the local store with pockets full of spare change to buy a few packs of baseball cards. Too excited to wait we would tear them open as soon as we left the store, splitting the gum and pouring over the cardboard treasure.

When I first made up a list of players whose bats I would need I accepted that there would be some players whom I never actually saw play. Larry Wolfe was one of those players. My only recollection of Wolfe is his 1980 Topps card, one I undoubtedly came across while shuffling through packs of cards with Craig. This past weekend when Craig arrived at my house he came bearing a game used Larry Wolfe bat for my collection. So while I may not remember seeing Larry Wolfe play, I will always remember how I added his bat to my collection. Thanks Craig.


4 bats down 79 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment