This is my ode about the time I spent with my Grandfather on Cape Cod. I hope to honor the summers we shared and the teams we rooted for by reuniting a game used bat for every Red Sox position player from 1975 to 1986. This is for you Gus!

Friday, February 19, 2016

Gus the Milkman

When I was a boy I spent my summers on Cape Cod with my grandfather. He was a milkman who answered to Gus and he was my hero. We did many of the things that fathers and sons normally do together because my own father wasn't around. It was my grandfather who bought me my first glove, took me to my first game and is responsible for my unflagging loyalty to the Red Sox. Sadly he did not live to see the 2004 season and my memories of those summers we spent together are beginning to fade.

Like many men I am a sucker for sports memorabilia fueled nostalgia. It would not be a stretch to say that I have been bitten by the collecting bug and chasing down relics from the past seems like a perfectly logical pursuit to me. Whether it stems from my desire to cobble together the memories I shared with my grandfather or is the result of some yet unnamed disorder, I plan to collect a game used bat for every Red Sox position player from 1975 to 1986. Those seasons bookend the summers I spent with my grandfather and were dramatic, often lamented heart breakers for long suffering Red Sox fans.

And so begins my quest ... for 83 bats.

No comments:

Post a Comment